Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Collegeland I


Last weekend off to Collegeland, New England


Was looking forward to spending 4 days up there. There is a beautiful bike trail we have yet to do and I have heard rumour of a bookstore/restaurant over a waterfall. But I came down with something--either a bronchial infection made worse by allergy induced asthma and sinus problems, or a sinus infection made worse by yadda yadda yadda or walking pneumonia (or so said the Doc. today.) So we came home early.




 Collegland was, as usual, a treat. Great company, great food, great history, beautiful scenery. A valley of prosperous culture kept alive by one of America's surviving thriving industries--education.

Everywhere you turn, crosscurrents of architectural styles. In the pic above are Modern, Victorian and what I call Deco Regency (later comment, --but perhaps what others call  Hollywood Regency )



I'm not sure what 1920s-30s Neoclassical is usually called but it makes for a visual I like (see house above.) The term Deco Regency makes me think of Cecil Beaton's style, so it seems fitting. Here I would usually go off on some lyrical, semi-scholarly wax, but my head hurts--

Of course, most of any New England urban village is made out of wood,  often painted to show off the great millwork. I should wax off on this too, but maybe I should wait till I get my meds tonight. Antibiotics, steroids, AND codeine, should make life more interesting. And who knows what it will do to my prose style?

No comments:

Post a Comment